new and anhydrous it is opaque, you can almost see through it.
As it absorbs water it turns white.  It has been 20 years, so...

Ray

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:03:45 -0400, Bill Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Marc,

When it looks white, it is dry, unless it has all turned to carbonte which is
unlikely. Pure anhydrous NaOH is white in appearance and becomes more
translucent as it absorbs water. Exposed to the air long enough it will liquify.

Hope this helps,

Bill Clark

----- Original Message -----

From: Marc Arends

To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org

Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 2:52 AM

Subject: [Biofuel] NaOH

Hello all,

I have a questions before i want to start with making my first test batch with
the single stage method.

I bought NaOH from a hardware store, but it looks white so it is not pure. Does
somebody know how i can mesure the moisture content of this NaOH so i can
compensate for all this water?

(I can use an oven at my work that can reach 1000 degrees Celsius).

Greetings,

Marc

Biofuel  at  Journey  to  Forever:

Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000
messages):

Ray or Shiraz Ings
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1-613-253-1311