Michael Redler wrote:
Since you've been tracking Linux activity, I'm sure you know China's
commitment to Linux over MS as it's preferred OS. I don't remember
the details but, I do know that's a lot of freakin' computers! I'd
like to know if you have more info on that.

Do a google for "Red Flag linux". It's a joint venture between China, Japan, Korea and one or two other Asian countries. Their intention is to get it working properly for the correct display of Asian text and then do a localisation for each country.

FYI: I'm trying to resurrect some old computers and found that some
Linux distributions can run on most computers going all the way back
to Windows 3.1. On the other hand, I've been told that Windows XP is
designed to begin having performance problems after a certain period
of time.

To put it bluntly, WHAT CRAP!!!!!! There is a big difference between someone sitting down with a blank piece of paper and designing a system to "slow down over time" and the just generally bad design of the whole Windoze ecosystem. For example on my home computer, I save NO user data to my c:\ drive, it all goes on the D:\ drive - it makes it easier to back up this way. Now for some reason I still have the "C:\Documents and Settings" directory, where I've never saved anything, at over 200MB. There are also services running that I have no idea as to what they do, and I write engineering software professionally for a living!!!! This is the problem with Windoze. It does things that you don't want it to do, it does things behind you back, it keeps stuff you don't want to keep and so on. Herein lies syour problem. Over time the system just gets laddled with so much gumpf that it slows down. Bad, not intentional, design causes the slowdown.

Some even encourage reinstalling your XP OS if you plan on
having it for a few years.
[snip]

This is good advice. Probably after a year do a total reinstall and things will speed up again, but will then slow down over time. Also remember to do things like defragment your hard disk, flush out the registry with a registry cleaner app ever now and then and of course, make sure you are running anti-virus software.

        Andrew