[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 6/30/05 11:10:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< > "If you want to put a frown on the face of [Saudi] Wahhabis, talk about 100-mile-per-gallon vehicles," Woolsey said. "We don't need a Manhattan Project to do it." < It cannot be that difficult as Austin Cars in the UK used to advertise
 their Model 7 as "Doing 100 mph and 100 mpg" (UK gallon) and that was
 between the wars. The power unit was only 700cc or 45ci and when sold to
 the public the unmodified engine did 50+mpg and about 50mph.  If they
 could get that economy and performance out of a 20s 4 cylinder engine
 for advertising purposes then why not now?   Chris.

why do the electric motors in the accord hybrid only serve to add torque rather than incease mpg? Why did the 70s, 80's vw golf/rabbit diesels get 40/50 miles a gallon then, and not much more now?
greg

I agree about the Accord, but with regard to the 70s era Rabbit diesels, I think you're comparing apples and oranges. A 70s diesel rabbit was small and underpowered, lacked modern safety features and design, and other than CO2, wasn't exactly the cleanest emissionswise.

In constrast, a contemporary TDI can actually carry 4-5 adults and has a specious trunk. It is also much safer thanks to a more rigid frame, crumple zones, antilock brakes and 8 (yes eight) airbags. Performance is greatly improved in spite of a hefty increase in curb weight and, although it isn't as clean as a gasser, the emissions have come a long way. And it still gets between 40 and 50 mpg. Having owned an '86 Golf (gasser) and a 03 Jetta TDI, I'll take the later in a heartbeat. No question.