robert luis rabello wrote:

YOU can obtain a distillation permit from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms to distill your own ethanol. There is no such provision in Canada for individuals. I'm trying to do this through my business right now, but the people at Revenue Canada never answer their phones and are NOT returning my calls!

Robert;

You raise an issue I am concerned about. Have you or anyone on the list looked into the issue of distillation with regard to biodiesel production in Canada. I heard that stills are required to be registered in Canada even for distillation of water. The reactors that we use and the way we recover methanol could be considered a form of distillation although my vacuum unit is technically more like a refinery than a distillation apparatus. I have been wondering what the pros and cons are of this terminology and which would be better in terms of applying for a permit. I see this as a potential sticking point whereby biodiesel production could fall under existing regulations in this country and thereby be subject to rules and regulations and taxes etc that could eventually make it difficult for the average person to make thier own fuel.
Does anybody have any ideas on this?

Joe