my favorite part was where he mentions "harnessing greenhouse gasses".  harness them for what?

is this yet another "bubba-ism", or something very orwellian disguised as one?

-chris b.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Redler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Bush wants to shift global warming debate

OK, I've been a little preoccupied lately and haven't been able to contributions to recent discussions. However, one of Kieth's recent posts caught my attention.
Please allow me to vent.
...I'm quoting parts of Kieth's post in reverse order.
"My hope is -- and I think the hope of Tony Blair is -- to move
beyond the Kyoto debate and to collaborate on new technologies that
will enable the United States and other countries to diversify away
from fossil fuels so that the air will be cleaner and that we have
the economic and national security that comes from less dependence on
foreign sources of oil," Bush said.

"Bush spoke of his administration's investment of $20 billion (16.55
billion euros) in developing hydrogen-powered vehicles, zero-emission
power stations and other technology."
Bush's position shifts like the tide -- like a tide resulting from global warming and which might swallow Bangladesh.

He starts out with "...away from fossil fuels...", then differentiates who's fossil fuels with "...less dependence on foreign sources of oil". Finally, (In an earlier statement) he spoke of his administrations $20 billion investment in hydrogen powered vehicles, demonstrating his steadfast commitment to oil interests.
He wants to project concern toward (only the most uneducated) environmentalists with a technology that addresses the storage of energy and not sustainable resources for conversion. At the same time, he chooses a cause which the oil industry can actively participate. Finally, a low emphasis on greenhouse gas emissions is an invitation for some companies to manufacture "green" products with no regard to the manufacturing processes and how it contributes to global warming -- thus, defeating the purpose.
I think I need to throw up now.
Mike