From: Hakan Falk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 06:43:31 +0200
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] ASPO on the Economic near-Future

Chris b,

The fact is that the oil price has gone up very much thanks to the Iraq venture. The oil production in Iraq, before the occupation, was almost as large as what they call the "swing production", or with other words the cushion that evened out production and demand. The biggest problem and
reason, has also been the US filling up their strategic storage, which was going down due to the war. Bush has been filling up, independent of the price of the day.

With the "swing production" gone and higher demand from China and India, the price have moved up in a steady way and will continue to do so. It is also interesting to note that the high oil price is mainly a US problem and countries that pegged their currencies to the greenback. In many other currencies, the oil price has not gone up that much. This because the dollar lost significantly in value, 0.89 dollar for one Euro, before the war, has changed to 1.25 to 1.35. This mean that EU is less effected by the higher oil price in dollar.

One reason for the low response at the time of the war, was the general opinion that US would gain and be able to stabilize the oil supplies rapidly. This has not happened and in combination with that, it was discovered that a large part of the "general oil reserves" was paperwork. It is much worse times to come and maybe a serious US lead depression will be necessary to establish lower oil demand levels. On the other hand, it might nor help, since the growth in China and India, will outstrip the effects of a depression. A depression will probably hit US, but it has more to do with adjustments to a new world economic balance.

The forgiveness of the African debts, is necessary and sound adjustments of the books, not our leaders sudden rebirth and alter egoistic mood.

Hakan