[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

if you want to eliminate meat from your diet, then you need to find another way of getting the protein meat provides.

Actually, getting enough protein on a vegan diet is not at all a problem. However, you do have to eat legumes and carbohydrates to get a complete protein from vegetables alone. There is much research going on every day to point to a potiential excess of protein in the average American diet but, I don't think that there is any definitive scientific "proof" to conclude either way on this subject. Even the USDA has recently produced reports stating that protein intakes needed to be curbed in the U.S. - keep in mind, I don't hold much stock in anything the USDA releases. The only real nutritional issue with a meat and dairy-free diet is a defficiency of the vitamin B12 which is only naturally available in meat. There are vegans who don't get supplemental B12 and are quite healthy. I get mine from Silk soy milk, though.

Take care,
Ken