Hi Robert:

robert luis rabello wrote:

There has been plenty of discussion concerning the "nature of the value systems" undergirding the evil in our world. Have you been paying attention? What happened in London is yet another symptom of a far deeper problem.

Sure.  I was speaking specifically about the event of 7 7.

There is nothing that can justify these actions, nor nothing that would cause me to ever sit at a table to negiotiate anything other than an unconditional surrender and the incarceration/ execution of the perps.

I think nearly everyone who contributes to this forum would agree that the London bombings were heinous, criminal acts.

Thank you. They were also military acts. I've got a sense from past postings that many folks say they can understand why these people commit these acts (without advocating them or legitimizing them). I can't really understand why killing people that are truly unconnected to primary causes is "understandable". Perhaps I've misunderstood the gist of the posts.

Yet when you speak of unconditional surrender, you invoke military language. In the classic sense, are you able to define the "enemy"?

What do you mean by "classic sense". Do you mean, a nationality or uniform? If so, then no. However, the "enemy" is composed of cooperative individuals that embrace a common value system.

Can you point to a nation state as the perpetrator of such terrorism, or must we engage in endless, mindless slaughter of ill defined "enemies" until those "enemies" have no recourse other than to lash back at us?

If I understand you, we've misidentified the enemy and created new enemies?

Has the policy of "going after" terrorism with the blunt cudgel of military power proven effective in eliminating the terrorist threat?

Somewhat. There have been attacks prevented, such as the planned "demolition" of the Brooklyn Bridge.

A very wise man once said: "Violence begets violence." The way of peace is a long and difficult path, but it begins with listening.

There are things worth dying for (defensive). There are no things worth murdering for (aggression). There are things worth killing to preserve (defensive). [This is an important distinction.] We must be very careful to ensure that we are taking truly defensive actions.

All the best... Tim

--
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.