In a message dated 7/11/05 11:49:14 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<   We could actually take the discussion further to stipulate _properly

processed_ whole grains.   Corn meal should be processed with alkali

(masa harina) as I recall to to make the thiamin more absorbable, as one

example. >>

yes, this is what i was referring to in a previous post where i referred to
corn being a source if prepared properly.  masa harina (masa de harina de maĆ­z)
is made from the large-grained mexican corn (not the same thing as hominy)
which has been cooked in a lime (sometimes ash) bath.  though i seem to recall
that the lime has a positive impact on the protein value as well, which is why
i asked the cornbread question.  cornbread is made with the more common (here
in the u.s.a.) yellow corn, isn't it?  and it's *doesn't* get the lime
treatment, right?  i wouldn't want to assume it's nutritional content to be the
same.

i may be mistaken about brown rice, but it has been my understanding that
white rice does not make up for the essential amino acids which beans have in
only small quantity.  it's been ages, though, since i've felt the need to
consult
a nutrition chart.

>By combining beans (low in

>methionine, and threonine?) with grains (low in lysine) one comes up

>with an efficient diet.  As I see it one could live on a diet of one OR

>the other. It would however be expensive so to speak.  To get sufficient

>lysine for example from a diet of corn would require eating a lot more

>total protein to get the necessary amount of lysine.

discussing this topic in terms of the "complete protein set" is not
semantically precise, but is a far more convenient way of expressing it and
conveys the
basic idea.  i've intentionally not gone in depth in this thread because i
had the original poster in mind, not an in depth discussion.  just trying to
point them in the general direction so they can investigate further on their
own,
which is what they should do if they want to learn it well (and they should
learn something like nutrition well).

anyway, it's all good if we all learn a little something new (or unlearn
certain equivocations!).

-chris