Hello all,

I am considering the use of my glycerol coproduct as a burner fuel for process heat generation (indirect via boiler). My glycerol generated while running 20% methanol is of very low viscosity (mostly likely due to the excess methanol), and seems quite usable. This may be more advantageous than recover when heating large batches.

I have been searching for emissions information on this, as I have heard that toxic acrolein is produced.when glycerin is burnt at temps below 1800degF. (I have heard this about WVO/SVO usage as well). My question is how much?...as acrolein is also produced burning gasoline, diesel, and cigarettes. It seems that if the amount of acrolein produced by burning the gylerol waste is LESS than the amount that would be produced by burning the amount of petro diesel that is offset by the biodiesel..then net amount of acrolein is still a reduction, and hence acceptable.

Any data out there?
Any chemists out there who may be able to calculate an approximation?
Molecular formula C3H4O  (..that's little 3, little 4)

-Rob

Info on Acrolein:
Acrolein is principally used as a chemical intermediate in the production of acrylic acid and its esters. Acrolein is used directly as an aquatic herbicide and algicide in irrigation canals, as a microbiocide in oil wells, liquid hydrocarbon fuels, cooling-water towers and water treatment ponds, and as a slimicide in the manufacture of paper (IARC, 1985). Combustion of fossil fuels, tobacco smoke, and pyrolyzed animal and vegetable fats contribute to the environmental prevalence of acrolein (IARC, 1985). Acrolein is a byproduct of fires and is one of several acute toxicants which firefighters must endure. It is also formed from atmospheric reactions of 1,3- butadiene. The annual statewide industrial emissions from facilities reporting under the Air Toxics Hot Spots Act in California based on the most recent inventory were estimated to be
54,565 pounds of acrolein (CARB, 2000).

CHRONIC TOXICITY SUMMARY
ACROLEIN (2-propenal, acraldehyde, allyl aldehyde, acryl aldehyde)
CAS Registry Number: 107-02-8

I. Chronic Toxicity Summary
Inhalation reference exposure level 0.06 mg/m3 (0.03 ppb)
Critical effect(s) Histological changes in nasal epithelium in rats
Hazard index target(s) Respiratory system; eyes

II. Physical and Chemical Properties (HSDB, 1995)
Description Colorless or yellow liquid with piercing,
disagreeable odor

Molecular formula C3H4O  (oops..thats litte 3, little 4)
Molecular weight 56.1 g/mol
Density 0.843 g/cm3 @ 20°C
Boiling point 53°C
Melting point -88°C
Vapor pressure 220 torr @ 20°C
Odor threshold 160 ppb (370 mg/m3)
(Amoore and Hautala, 1983)
Solubility Soluble in ethanol, diethyl ether, and up to 20% w/v in water
Conversion factor 1 ppm = 2.3 mg/m3 @ 25° C