When I was growing up, I remember my father collecting large quantities of leaves for his garden each fall. He did not bother composting them; he simply tilled them into the garden in the fall or spring along with his regular tilling. I think he now has one of those round bins for compost and puts almost everything into it. He turns it by hand regularly and he says that the compost stays warm and active through most of his southern New Hampshire winter. Although I know that he has a chipper shredder, I don't know if he shreds the leaves or not.

John

Anyone have any suggestions for a homemade shredder for yard waste.  I have
used my lawn mower but, the blade gets really beat up.  Using the mower can
also be quite a struggle if I don't get to it before the rain does.  I have a
ton of oak leaves and they, alone, take a really long time to break down.  The
compost that I'm getting seems very healthy but, I can't out-pace the trees.

Thanks in advance...

Take care,
Ken