Hi Rob

ok so this thread has drifted quite far from my original inquiry.

Sorry about that.

I was looking for specific, or even close estimates, of the acrolein emissions from glycerol burning in an open flame boiler/burner unit..not for its use as a motor fuel, or its combination with nitrogen.

"Depending on the temperature, the thermal degradation of vegetable oils is a polymerisation (200-300 °C), a degradation of vegetable oils into acrolein, ketene, fatty acids then formation of alcanes, alcenes above 300 °C and finally a formation of a gas-liquid mixture from around 500 °C up."
-- ACREVO study:
http://www.biomatnet.org/secure/Fair/F484.htm
BioMatNet Item: FAIR-CT95-0627 - Advanced Combustion Research for Energy from Vegetable Oils (ACREVO)

Lower temperature of combustion, more acrolein.

It needs higher temps than 500 deg C to burn the by-product anyway. you can burn the glycerin portion, and the excess methanol if you haven't removed it, but the burner soon gunks up with black and horribly abused but unburnt soap. I haven't managed to get full clean combustion at about 700 deg C and it may have been higher than that. Michael Allen reckons it needs 1,000 deg C and five seconds' residence time, and maybe pre-heating and atomization too I thought. We've been finding good solutions for by-product use, and good solutions for burners as well, though we haven't given up yet on burning the by-product.

How are you planning to burn it?

Best wishes

Keith

-Rob