Hi,

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:43:54 +0200, MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 Out of curiosity,
 how many kids on this list
 ride a bicycle more than once a week. . .

Well, I live in Amsterdam, NL, which is slightly different as the Netherlands is totally geared-up for cycling, but I do cycle every day at home. Everywhere around town, then, depending on the weather, to the airport (12-15km) and for meetings in towns and villages up to 20km away.

I'm currently working in Swindon, UK, during the week, and have bought a bike so I can get around the town and discover the countryside a bit. There are people working in this office who drive to work from their homes less than 2 miles away! I think they don't realise how easy it is to walk or cycle (and how good you feel) after you've got the equipment and the route sorted out.

I'm currently campaigning (by letter etc) for a system in London where a percentage of the revenue earned from the congestion charging system (it costs £5 to drive a car into central London during the day) is distributed amongst registered cycle commuters. The idea would be that you prove you live outside the zone and work inside it (letter from your employer plus voting register) and are then issued a smart card. Every day you commute into the zone by bike you pass the card over a reader at the edge of the zone. At the end of the month, the percentage of the money paid by car drivers is distributed amongst the registered cycle commuters according to how many days they've cycled to work that month.

If anyone can think of ways of helping out with the effort (or implementing it in your local congestion charging zone/toll road) then please drop me a line.

Thanks,

Sam