[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

this *homebrew* wturbine reportedly withstands 60+ mph winds. i can't see how even stronger ones couldn't be made. i have my own idea of how it could be done. . . .

Then I've misunderstood something, Chris. I followed the link and went to the wind turbine section of that site, where I found the Air turbine from Southwest Windpower. In general, for a turbine to survive it has to be built very strong. Among the modern, home sized units available for purchase in North America, the Bergeys are about as tough as they come. If you go to the Bergey site and click on the "tornado tough" link, they've provided evidence of how their machines have survived in the presence of some of the worst weather on earth.

http://www.bergey.com/

        Here's a quote from the site:

"On Monday, May 3rd, 1999 an F5 tornado (see NOAA definition below), the most severe and destructive class of tornado, tore through Moore, Oklahoma, approximately 6 miles North of BWC's factory. This tornado destroyed thousands of homes, did $1.5 billion in total damage, and killed 36 people. "I had only been down in my storm shelter for a minute when I heard this awful racket. I peeked out the door, and the building was gone." Delbert Thornhill, of Moore, describing the destruction of his garage. His Bergey Excel-S wind turbine, installed in 1985, stands 20 feet away on an 80 ft. self-supporting tower.

The wind turbine suffered some damage to its tail and blades from flying debris. The photo on the left above shows the turbine the following day. Debris from the destroyed garage can be seen at the base of the tower. The photo on the right shows the fused disconnect switch box at the base of the tower. Notice the piece of wood which has pierced the steel enclosure of the switch box. This indicates that the local wind speed was probably in excess of 220 mph.

Behind the switch you can see one of the homes destroyed by the tornado. The blades, tail fin, and disconnect switch were replaced and the wind system was put back in service within a week.

NOAA Definition for an F5 Tornado:
Category F5: Incredible Damage (261- 318 mph); Strong frame houses lifted off foundations and swept away; automobile sized missiles fly through the air in excess of 100 meters (109 yards); trees debarked; incredible phenomena will occur.

***IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT F-SCALE WINDS: Do not use F-scale winds literally. These wind speed numbers are estimates and have never been scientifically verified. Different wind speeds may cause similar-looking damage from place to place—even from building to building. Without a thorough engineering analysis of tornado damage in any event, the actual wind speeds needed to cause that damage are unknown."

        That's pretty incredible!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind