hi keith.

no i didn't follow your link, but i'm already pretty familiar with health
problems that have been linked to high fructose intake.  so, no dis. :)  still,
do think that the wording of that paragraph was. . .ill-considered.  she
simplistically (and somewhat inaccurately in terms of chronology, as you
pointed
out) associated hfcs with increasaed obesity, by ommitting any reference to the
deterioration of nutritional and exercise habits as a whole.  for example the
fact that refined sugars constitute an increasing proportion of the average
diet while exercise is diminishing.  this language does carry the suggestion
that those other factors are less important, perhaps even irrelevant.

on the subject of the codex decision, a google search returned quite a number
of links.  i found that dr. dean's piece was fairly in accord with a number
of other sources insofar as potential consequences of recent developments.
clearly, the outcome of the rome meeting is not encouraging, and clearly we
should all be concerned and raise our voices.

after your reply to my post, i took another look at the 'kiss your health
goodbye!' piece to re-examine my interpretation.  in light of what i read from
other sources, all of which were also opposed to the rome decision, i was even
more struck by dr. dean's tone.  she paints a big brother-type picture which is
not the reality.  at least not yet.  there is still a ways to go, and other
avenues to pursue besides attempting to influence the deliberations of codex;
who, and fao (e.g. see
http://www.alliance-natural-health.org/index.cfm?action=news&ID=181).

my reading also only reinforced the jingoistic impression i got the first
time.  if you like, i can break down her language point by point, but it's late
and i can't go into that length at the moment.  i will say, though, that she
repeatedly mentions the role of germans, germany, and the eu in the process, as
though they were synonymous with the real motive force, the pharmaceutical
giants.  at the same time she glosses over the fact that the codex commission,
which consists of 85 member nations *including* the u.s. and canada, voted
*unanimously* to adopt the guidelines.

nevertheless, these are potentially serious developments.  it's important to
spread the word, and i can't accuse dr. dean of not doing that.  after all,
i'm now aware of it when 24 hours ago i wasn't.  :)

-chris b.