This certainly agrees with my personal experience and analysis. In fact, I would go even further. My step-son bought a new 2004 Civic Hybrid in January 2004. The car is very nice. It comfortably seats four adults and the back seat is comfortable for my six-foot, 165-pound frame. However, he has found that it gets between 30 and 40 miles per gallon in his driving. That does not compare particularly favorably with the 35 to 45 my 1996 Civic gets (with over 200,000 miles on it) which also comfortably seats 4 adults. We supported him spending the extra money to get it at the time, but I'm feeling differently now. I don't see the Honda Insight as particularly green either. It's a two seater that gets 70 miles per gallon (according to the hype, which gave the Civic Hybrid close to 50 mpg). That works out to 140 person-miles per gallon at full capacity. As I mentioned, my five-seater 96 Civic really does get 40 mpg (with some tankfuls going as high as 50 mpg). That works out to about 200 person-miles per gallon at full capacity (with minor losses as a result of carrying that much weight). Even with only four people in the car, it gets better mileage than the fully loaded Insight. My wife and I almost never travel alone, so we just about always get better mileage (80 mpg) than the Insight would get with a single driver. I think the hybrid concept has tremendous potential. In fact, I think it could go much further in performance and safety, _while_ getting better mileage, than current IC-only designs. Four independent electric motors would give full-time, fully independent four-wheel drive with no differentials to mess up the delivery of all (or most) of the power to the one wheel that has traction. Distributing the battery pack out to all four wheels would reduce electrical losses and improve the weight distribution and thus safety of the car. Unfortunately, these first attempts are not going this route; they just tack an electric motor onto current designs. Given the wasteful nature of capitalism, I guess we will have to go through this phase to get to that place.

John

This article reports on the fact that most hybrids actually do not get much better mileage than standard cars. Manufacturers are using the electrical engines to improve performance rather than increase mileage; whereas improved mileage is the reason that these cars qualify for large tax credits.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/automobiles/17hybrid.html?ex=1279252800&en=ae427a90941e848d&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&em c=rss