In a message dated 8/1/2005 1:45:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
"I am amazed and the quanity of people who will
uphold and fight for some snails life, being of great importance and right
to live, yet believe it is okay to kill babies. That the Child is of no
value and has no right to life."
Actually, I don't think I've ever heard anyone (although Brian Rogers comment has me a bit worried . . . and there are troubling, and apparently factual reports of infanticide in some places) who believes the literal meaning of these statements you wrote.

Although I don't believe in the gratuitous killing of anything, the issue of protecting snails, etc., is to protect the diversity and health of our ecosystems (and for some, out of respect for the wonder of life).   If we want our children to have a world that's liveable, we better be concerned about the natural world in which they will exist.

As far as "killing babies," I suspect most of us recognize the code words for abortion.  It should be stating the obvious that deciding at what point, from merger of sperm with ovum onward, that a child's life begins and terminating that life is unresolvable.  Certainly people should weigh heavily the biological and ethical issues before making their own personal decisions on this, but (as at least one other post has suggested), trying to impose one's own conclusions on another just isn't going to work politically or practically, even in a tightly controlled society.

                                                                Bob