Hi Hakan and All ;

Trying to get back into this.

> The process of converting biomass to methanol
> requires pyrolization
> (thermochemical) reactors which convert the biomass
> to crude producer
> gases. (See 19th century gas street lighting and the
> process of charcoal
> production.) After "washing" the producer gas,
> primarily hydrogen and
> carbon monoxide, it is converted to methanol under
> high temperature and
> pressure in the presence of a catalyst.

Yes this is how it could be done, but has anyone
succeeded in doing it on a small scale and cost
effectively?  Tom Reed over on the gasification list
has spent many years and huge amounts of money and
succeeded in making 1 liter of methanol at great cost.

I think the reason why ethanol is so popular is that
people have been making it for thousands of years.
Methanol is quite recent, only being discovered 100
years ago or so. There is a new patent for low
pressure (10 bar), low temperature (150 C), methanol
catalyst which is stable and easy to make.  I could
dig up the link if anyone wants.  Perhaps it is in the
JtF archives as well.  Hoping to see some
do-it-yourself articles in the public domain and then
methanol will begin to generate interest.

Best Regards,

Peter G.
Thailand