Ray,

I have no idea why you waste your time on over production of corn, but I will once more tell the story about Germans and the WWII peace. After the peace, the Germans needed food aid to avoid starving, US asked them what they needed and they answered "Korn" (Rye in German). US started to send maize to the Germans and raised the domestic production. The Germans was very disappointed, because maize were not and is not a traditional food supply for them and Europeans in general. This without counting the occasional "corn on the cob" with melted butter, that we sometimes enjoy.

The Europeans normally grow maize for animal feed and I just learned from the list, that it is a different variant of maize. Anyway maize is not a common food source in Europe. When Europe managed to catch up with its agriculture after WWII and production of Rye, there were no market for the American corn. US had to start subsidizing its farmers, who had switch to bigger volumes of corn production, believing that Europe would be a large and thriving market. Ever since then, the preferred food aid from US to countries in need, has been corn.

I think that this stubbornness of using corn is not really rational and it is some politicians that see the Ethanol production as a solution to the over production problem. So they keep chopping the foot to fit the shoe, instead of getting an other pair of shoes with the right size.

Hakan