The bombs convinced them otherwise.

>From the decoded messages the higher up, knew that we were facing a real bad
invasion, and few wanted to invade.    So what was it going to be,

1)    Leave the militant government that started the war in place.
2)    A bad invasion, with millions of casualties.    ( an estimated 1
million from the allies alone )
3)    Wipe out two cities.

#1 was totaly unacceptable.    Treaty agreements between the Allies dictated
that unconditional surrender was the only type of surrender that was going
to be accepted.

#2 was in some cases worst than #1, but would have achieved.

#3 while distasteful, did hold down the casualties to a under 300,000.

As it ended up 2 cities were totaly trashed, while if Japan was invaded,
then I would bet that most cities would have ended up like Hiroshima and
Nagasaki, through conventional means.

I know that everyone would have been allot happier had Japan surrendered
unconditionally allot sooner.

Greg H.