I currently drive a 2001 Dodge Neon SE that gets about 31 mpg with the lowest grade of gasoline I can buy. I would like to buy a diesel Jetta and start producing my own BD, but I have to wait until my wife gets a new car, and that isn't in the budget for another year or so. Besides, I really want to get her out of the 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.2l V-8, no less). Even she is beginning to get squeamish about the 15 mpg she is getting (only because it costs $50 a week to fill it). It is a comfortable ride, but it has got to go!

Earl.

To: <Biofuel@sustainablelists.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 3:08 AM
Subject: RE: [Biofuel] Check out Diesel Won't Solve Our Gasoline Woes

Hello;

You will get far more than 22mpg with diesel.
Unless of course you are looking for very large capacity engine (like 6
litres) which and average city user does not need.

Over here (outside of USA) you  can buy 2.5 to 3.5 litre diesel engined
SUV's and Vans.
You will get at least 25mpg.  And these are 4x4 heavy duty machines.

Or you can get small capacity diesel cars (example 1.6 litre Hyundai Getz)
and you get something
like 40 miles to a gallon easily. These are real life values including city
traffic (not test values).

I have looked at the article, it mentiones that in US the refineries do not
have the capacity for the diesel production.
Well hey maybe this is a great opportunity for bio-diesel.... Start using
the vegetable oil or even better
waste vegetable oil.  You will save the environment, create jobs for local
farmers and pollute far less.
I would estimate that for a bio-diesel plant it will take maximum 6 months
from scratch to be operational.
And you can use the local farmers produce or local restaurants WVO (and save
the pollution).
Even better if you have the talent like many in this list you can make it at
home, and save a bundle...

Article also mentions that diesel prices are soaring.  Yes this is true. I
can tell you that this is a great
tax revenue for all of the government. I can tell you that over here there
are less taxes on biodiesel.
The government actually supports the BD production. Therefore the BD sells
for less than normal diesel.
To save more please refer to the last sentence of the previous paragraph.

There is one more issue about commercial transportation.  We need to build
more railroads.  Trucking everything
wil not be feasible.  Again in Turkiye I believe we have the largest truck
population in Europe.  But at the end of the
day no matter how many roads you build they are always congested and the
accident rates are difficult to control.
For commercial transportation you need to build railroads and develop the
seaways.

So there is a solution for all of the claims this article makes.  It all
comes down to the personal choice of each individual.
Do we want to solve problems?  Or do we prefer to enjoy the luxury of
"wasting energy"?  I gues our kids will be the one
to appreciate our efforts or put the blame on us.

regards

Burak
Istanbul, Turkiye