Hello Chris
Thanks for the response.
Sorry about the confusion. We call it a ranch but it can be considered a tree farm or a cattle ranch. We have 50 acres of irrigated pasture, 50 acres non irrigated pasture, 100 acres of Ponderosa Pine forest and 40 acres of Piñon and Cedar Trees. Our family leases the property out to a local cattle rancher for four months per year. You could call it a tree ranch. We have manicured the forest to a great extent enabling grazing there as well.
it's true that batteries are not zero maintenance, but the maintenance
requirements are really quite low.  and actually, quality lead-acid batteries have a
low failure rate when used properly.

Batteries, I have some experience with having been in the consumer electronics service field for twenty years and another ten years as a mechanic before that. So I probably have a bad taste in my mouth about batteries as the majority of devices I see are defective and misused. Good point here Chris.
anyway, living actually *in* the forest does present different
considerations.  using wood for fuel does make a lot more sense in that context. (not that i
thought it made no sense before).
We do have a tendency to feel a bit disassociated from the rest of society being "out there' on the ranch most of the time.
This biofuels group is such an eye opener for me.
Thank you all so much
Brian Rodgers