Sound's very do-able, although I think I would go with the turbo just because I live at 5500 ft and have lot's of hills that can top out at 9000ft to 14000ft to climb ( some of them from a dead stop ).

I do think I would stay with the automatic trannie, but, would see if I could find a aftermarket overdrive for it.

Greg H.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2005 21:49
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Diesel Pick Up Trucks

The 6.9L HP rating is near to the one of the 302 (5.0L), but the TORQUE figure is huge!
The 5.0-litre was rated 185-205 hp, the 6.9 litre diesel V8 was rated at 170hp , with torque 330-390 pounds-feet,and the  7.3-litre diesel V8 was rated 185-210 hp., with torque 360-425 pounds-feet.What suffers here are the universal joints! :-)
So, replacing the gas 5.0 for the 6.9 will "feel" almost the same.
In the case you REALLY need more "punch" Gale Banks makes a turbo for the 6.9, which increases HP at least 20% and torque up to 30%. There was also a company I can't recall the name, which made a system called "HyperMax" Pulse, or something like it.
Just remember, for towing, the torque of the 6.9 will have no match, but it might feel kind of "slow" while taking off from a dead stop.It just a matter of getting used on how and when to shift, if standard tranny is used.If the auto is going to be used, then you will see no difference, and you can always adjust the kickdown to suit your driving habits.
What will be better, and sorry here if you are a hard core Ford lover, is to replace the whole drivetrain (engine-tranny) with a Chevy 6.2 diesel mated to a 4speed 700R4 tranny, which has a more than adequate 1st gear, while the 4th is an overdrive, for ease of highway driving and better fuel economy.There are a big number of company that might provide you with whatever is required for such swap.Advance Adapters is one of those.