Joe Street wrote:

Ahh ok that makes sense. I thought it must be some exotic type of caustic used in this radical new process!
I still think it would be less confusing to just say 'methanol' though ;>
I am thinking about how I could do a quick test to see what happens. I am guessing that the major factors involve the electrode spacing and voltage or more to the point the field strength in the vicinity of the electrode and possibley the electrode material is very important. As well the flow rate past the electrode or dwell time at the electrode site would have an effect. My reactor uses a recirculation pump and I could insert a tee into the recirc line with an automotive sparkplug as the electrode. The gap is easily adjustable and all I would have to do is cobble a HV circuit together to do a crude trial. I'd like to do it on a smaller scale first though. Maybe I could just dunk the sparkplug into a 50 ml beaker together with oil and methanol and see if any reaction takes place. In the very least I could discover a way to set myself on fire and electrocute myself simultaneously :'>

Joe

From the days of building high voltage toys (tesla coils, etc...) memories of the high voltage capacitor came to mind when this topic first surfaced, and an image formed in my imagination wherein 2 plates, in this case possibly made of a metal mesh to allow liquid to flow through them, are placed parallel to each other, allowing a small gap between them, and when oil (or dielectric, as it would be called in a capacitor) is flowed between the plates, would take a charge from oppositely energized plates. This would allow a greater surface area of contact between the fluid and the energized electrodes, and perhaps make a noticeable change in the oil. Just a thought, might be useful, might trigger someone else's ideas, or it might be more stuff for the trash...

doug swanson

--
All generalizations are false.  Including this one.