Hi Vince

>hi yall,
>
>all i ahve to say is at least the walmarts aren't unionized. (
>doesn't make them better but ...   )

Sure doesn't. Lots and lots about this, but the one below should
do... Try this one too:

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=12962
How Wal-Mart is Remaking our World
Jim Hightower, Hightower Lowdown
April 26, 2002
Bullying people from your town to China

And this:

http://tompaine.com/feature2.cfm/ID/10226
The Wal-Mart Myth
Jonathan Tasini is president of the Economic Future Group.

... The second nugget got far less attention, unless you're inclined
to read the truly radical press: Business Week. In the April 12
issue, reporters Stanley Holmes and Wendy Zellner penned a terrific
piece called, "The Costco Way," with an even more provocative
sub-title: "Higher wages mean higher profits. But try telling Wall
Street."

The authors point out that Costco recently posted a 25 percent profit
gain, as well as a 14 percent sales hike. Yet Wall Street punished
Costco's stock, driving it down 4 percent. What gives? As the authors
report: "One problem for Wall Street is that Costco pays its workers
much better than archrival Wal-Mart Stores Inc. does, and analysts
worry that Costco's operating expenses could get out of hand. 'At
Costco, it's better to be an employee or a customer than a
shareholder,' says Deutsche Bank analyst Bill Dreher."

And there it is in a nutshell. In today's economy (or, for that
matter, yesterday's economy), whether a company treats its workers
fairly and satisfies consumers does not matter to Wall Street. Stock
analysts don't reward such a feat-preferring instead that a company
conform to Wall Street standards by wringing out every cent from
regular people's wallets. ...

Or this:

http://www.alternet.org/wiretap/24069/
The Wal-Mart Thought Police
By Amy Schiller, Campus Progress. Posted August 16, 2005.
The 'everyday low prices' superchain refuses to carry books and music
that dare criticize conservative values.

----

http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16282

The Great Wal-Mart Wars

By Ruth Rosen, San Francisco Chronicle
June 30, 2003

Would you like a Wal-Mart "supercenter" store to move into your
community? Think of the low prices and the convenience of one-stop
shopping! You just park once and get whatever you need - groceries,
drugs, plants, toys, dog food, even eyeglasses.

Sounds great, doesn't it? So why have nearly 200 communities refused
to allow such big-box stores to enter their lives? Do they know
something we don't?

To find out, I embedded myself in the Wal-Mart wars that have
recently broken out in Contra Costa County. What I learned, in a
nutshell, is that Wal-Mart's no-nunion, big-box stores drag down
other workers' salaries, destroy downtown businesses, prevent
smart-growth development and increase traffic congestion. What really
surprised me though is that we, the taxpayers, end up subsidizing
Wal-Mart stores by paying for the health and retirement needs of its
workers.

Wal-Mart has announced its intention to open 40 new supercenter
stores - each the size of four football fields - in such fast-growing
California suburban areas as Contra Costa County.

But Contra Costa County has fought back. A year ago, Martinez
prevented a traditional Wal-Mart store from expanding into a
supercenter that could sell groceries. On June 3, the county Board of
Supervisors voted to ban such supercenter stores from unincorporated
areas of the county.

In making its decision, the board cited a study done by the San Diego
County Taxpayers Association (SDCTA), a nonprofit, nonpartisan
organization. It found that an influx of big-box stores into San
Diego would result in an annual decline in wages and benefits between
$105 million and $221 million, and an increase of $9 million in
public health costs. SDCTA also estimated that the region would lose
pensions and retirement benefits valued between $89 million and $170
million per year and that even increased sales and property tax
revenues would not cover the extra costs of necessary public
services. "Good jobs, good pay, and good benefits should be the goal
of an economy," SDCTA concluded, "and supercenters are not consistent
with that objective."

Wal-Mart, as is its custom, has launched a counterattack against
Contra Costa's ordinance. The company parachuted in platoons of
signature-gatherers who are stationed outside discount stores and
asking shoppers to sign a petition that would place the board's
decision on a ballot. If they collect 27, 000 legitimate signatures,
Wal-Mart could reverse the board's ban.

In response, a coalition of community groups have mobilized to defeat
Wal- Mart's counterattack. But they face a formidable enemy. Over the
last 40 years, Wal-Mart has grown into the nation's biggest employer
and the world's largest retailer. Every two days, Wal-Mart opens
another superstore. It has more people in uniform than the U.S. Army.
Last year, it banked about $7 billion in profits.

The troops fighting Wal-Mart's invasion of Contra Costa County
include the Gray Panthers, small businesses, dozens of churches, the
National Organization for Women, and environmental and smart-growth
activists. Young people, recruited by the Association of Community
Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), fan out daily to discount
stores and try to convince shoppers not to sign Wal-Mart's petition.
They even carry cards that allow voters to withdraw their signature
if they have already signed the petition.

The generals in charge of this community resistance are union
leaders. John Dalrymple, director of the Contra Costa Central Labor
Council, admits they face an uphill battle. The giant retailer is
infamous for its take-no-prisoners, anti-union policies. Wal-Mart's
ability to offer such low prices, as any union member will tell you,
has been achieved by paying its workers - or "sales associates" - low
wages, offering unaffordable health coverage and no retirement
benefits and importing most of its products from developing
countries, some of which use child and prison labor.

The United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 1179, located in
Martinez, is headquarters for the war against Wal-Mart. Barbara
Carpenter, the union's president, comes from a family whose members
have worked for decades at retail companies that provided decent
wages, affordable health benefits and pension plans. "It's about
saving the American dream," she told me.

Wal-Mart, she points out, lowers wages among working families and
crushes family businesses. "It not only pays workers less than most
of its retail competitors, two-thirds of workers don't have
health-care coverage - a cost taxpayers are picking up across the
country.''

Did she say taxpayers? That's right. We, the customers, get such low
prices and convenient shopping because we, the taxpayers, subsidize
Wal-Mart profits by paying for county public health services, food
stamps, and social services for its retired employees.

So should you shop at Wal-Mart? To make up your mind, consider this:
If you earn a livable wage or are protected by a union, you can
probably buy all your monthly needs at Wal-Mart. But that's because
the average Wal-Mart employee, who earns about $15,000 a year, cannot
do the same.

Convenience and cheap prices, it turns out, come with hidden costs.

Ruth Rosen is a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. She can be
emailed at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>and that i agree with the going to a chemical shop. they will have
>what you need.
>
>vince z
>
>Joe Street <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>Hi Don;
>
>The comment about walmart, I knew would be humorous to some on the
>list but it was serious too.  There is much interest on this list
>about fighting globalization and avoiding giving any support to
>large multinational corporations.  Many folks I come across seem to
>think biodiesel is a license to go on with the same world view and
>attitude but just for cheaper and better for the air (as a side
>benefit almost).  I hope you didn't feel stung by my little joke,
>and welcome to the list BTW.
>Try to find a local chemical supply house.  Look in the yellow pages
>under chemical.  Avoid things like drain cleaner which are not pure
>enough for the BD process.  You can find small quantities of lye
>intended for soap making which are pure but cost more than you
>should be paying.  Also avoid buying a huge bulk quantity which may
>seem the be! st economy, because you will need to use it before it
>absorbs moisture and degrades (gets kinda chalky white). Most
>commonly (around here) it looks like little spheres that are cut in
>half , white but not paper white,(that is old stuff) it is kind of
>translucent a little bit. Same goes for the alcohol.  It must be
>very pure and dry (no water content)  Some folks seem to be getting
>it from shops that cater to performance cars and drag racing.  I
>also found a supply in the phone book yellow pages.
>Support small local shops if possible.  I know this is a bit of a
>goofy statement when it comes to chemicals that are manufactured far
>away most likely by a huge company who doesn't have the environment
>as the number one priority but walmart is just pure evil.
>
>Joe
>
>don lyon wrote:
>
>>Joe what I was looking for was a little help on how to make this
>>bio-diesel fuel. I haven't looked at walmart for any additives to
>>use. I am planning on looking at our

<snip>