Frieda,

Haulers have only three legitimate complaints with "greasel" owners and
biodiesel brewers that approach a level of legality, at least relative
to their involvement.

1) If a restauranteur has signed a contract with a hauler or renderer
that stipulates that all fats and oils coming from that establishment
during the contractual period belong to them, whether in the dumpster or
not, they have a legitimate complaint and could approach the restaurant
owner for breech of contract. Some contracts only state that the grease
belongs to the hauler once it's in the dumpster/drum.

2) If a "greasel" owner or biodiesel brewer removes feedstock from a
container that belongs to the hauler, the hauler has grounds to pursue a
complaint of theft. If the amount of grease/oil removed can be proven,
whether it be a single instance or over a series of events, and the
value of the grease/oil meets or exceeds the dollar threshold for felony
theft, the person who has removed the grease could be held liable in a
criminal court.

3) A few states require that the hauler be licensed. If not, fines could
be levied.

As a general rule, haulers literally make bank on the expected volumes
of grease/oil from each of its clients. If the expected/historical
volume differs from the actual volume, they tend to get extremely pissy
and play the part of the 800 pound gorilla, making threats of all
manner, sometimes legitimate and sometimes not, in order to resecure
their feedstock.

It's best that every "greasel" owner, biodieseler and restauranteur know
of the potential legal snags if they expect to keep their headache
levels at zero.

The easiest solution is for the homebrewer or greaseler to pre-arrange
supplying the same type of container(s) at no charge to the restaurant
when any existing contract is about to expire and service them
regularly. The problem usually found with such a scenario is that while
the intentions of the homebrewer may be good, their interest often
wains, leaving the restaurant in a lurch. As well, many restaurants
expect their haulers to take everything that gets dumped in the barrels,
not just the "cream" off the top. Many places throw their "Boil Out"
(lye and water run through the fryers to clean them) in with their
grease. And many throw their end of day meats into the same drums/dumpsters.

If a person is going to be looking for grease supplies, they need to be
prepared to take the bad with the good and be capable of processing the
bad along with the good. Otherwise they have the potential to become an
environmental hazard that outstrips whatever environmental benefit they
provide.

There is, after all, an "equal protection [prosecution] under the law"
clause to the US constitution.

Todd Swearingen