Why use synthetic molds?

Why not use classic greensand or plaster molds?    It's something that highschool kids can do.

Greg H.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:11
Subject: [Biofuel] Alternative to Toxic Mold Compounds?

I know that this may fall outside the scope of our usual discussions but, I thought there might be knowledge to gain here.

In the process of building a prototype solar tracker, I'm stuck with a dilemma. Some of the parts I make need to be molded. So, I'm making silicone based molds and casting the parts with two-part polyurethane.

According to the MSDS sheets, the catalyst for the silicone mold is a tin-based compound and very toxic. The reason I started in this direction is that it's readily available, widely used and proven to work. When finished, I can cast parts in almost any material. I can even pour low melt temperature metals.

I would like to make/use a casting material from something which is safer to me and the environment and still be durable and weather-proof. I was making pasta the other night and found (the next morning) a couple of pieces of spaghetti, dried and conforming to the shape of the colander. It made me wonder if there is a casting materiel made of carbohydrates and /or starch that I can use with a latex rubber mold.

Any thoughts?

Mike