Yes, I agree Linux is great when you can get all the pieces together to make it work, their Hardware Compatability List is somewhat limited on what devices you can use compared to Windows and for new users navigation can be a little cumbersom to learn something new. The upside of it is less down time and less viruses, also more open source to cutomize it more if you can get over the first hill of getting it all together.

For Linux if you know nothing about it and want the best support in the industry to be able to get things done I would choose Linspire http://www.linspire.com/ The guy who created this was once a Microsoft employee and had left the company to create his own, he also has an internet phone company and a online music service plus something else I cannot think of right now.

Myk