Pieter, I agree with Kieth, it probably is not the anti-foaming agent
which is there in parts per million conc(?).  Have you titrated the
stuff? Maybe a very high free fatty acid content?  Or maybe it is all
saturated fat?  Another possibility is that something is extracted into
the cooking oil in significant quantities, which solidifies when it is
diluted with more oil?

Pieter Koole wrote:
> Thanks Keith,
> If the silicone is not what is gelling the BD, what else can it be ?
> I still make BD from other suppliers without problems, but as soon as I mix
> any oil from this particular adress in it, it turns hard. With "hard" I mean
> as hard as butter in a fridge, so not jelly.
> Ok, but IF it is caused by the silicone, what can we do ? Because we will
> have to deal with this more and more in the future.
> Thanks again.
>

>>Dag Pieter
>>

>>>Hello all,
>>>I found a new adres where I can collect quit a bit of good quality
>>>oil, well, that is what I thought.
>>>In this oil is added what we call E900 ( a european code ) which is
>>>dimethylpolysiloxaan, to avoid the oil from foaming when they bake
>>>their chips.
>>
>>>From this oil I get one great big lump of solid stuff when I try to
>>
>>>make BD from it.
>>>Can anyone please help me ?
>>>Of course I could go and look for another restaurant, but this E900
>>>is used more and more, so I will meet this problem more often in the
>>>future.
>>>E900 is a polymere from silicone : (C2H6OSi)n
>>
>>It's used here in Japan too, we did some research on it when we first
>>came here. We've processed a lot of oil with silicone anti-foaming
>>agent in it and it hasn't made any difference. It's a very small
>>proportion in the oil though, I don't recall the exact figure. Maybe
>>they use more in the EU, but I doubt that's what gelling your
>>biodiesel.
>>
>>Best wishes
>>
>>Keith
>>

>>>Met  dank en vriendelijke groet,
>>>Pieter Koole
>>>Netherlands

> messages):
>
>>http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman