Hi Hakan & Joe,

Hakan, where do you find 5-7 kwm^-2 for solar incoming energy? That seems a
bit high - Joe's figure seems closer.

The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics gives a solar constant of
1.34kwm^-2, which for N. Lat. 40deg corrects to a ground surface solar
energy input of about 0.7kwm^-2, if one averages for the earth's inclination
at summer and winter solstices. Of course a tracking collector would collect
the entire 1.34kwm^-2 on a clear cloudless day regardless of one's latitude,
but here we're talking about photons heating grains of sand so the ground
surface figure is the correct one.

I'm with you on the hang glider advice :-).

Joe, I'm not enough of an atmospheric expert to answer whether your last
suggestion would improve or worsen things in earth's weather patterns.  The
Principle of Unintended Effects would make me hesitant to go that route,
though.

I would love to use Kim's sig of "Bright Blessings", but she's earned that
one, so I'll just say Cheers to all,

Bob (the one in West Linn, OR)