On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 11:15:44AM -0700, Rumen Slavov wrote:
>      Hi, Friends,
>   It seems to me all of you are intelligent persons,
> so I wonder why you are using Microsoft bullsh...?

One has really nothing to the other. At the moment, MS software
is just easier to use on desktop PCs. It's going to change fairly
soon (within next few years, likely), but not yet.

> As far as it is well known, there is not such animal -
> virus or worm or Trojan - for Linux! For some time now
> there are several distribution of Live CD`s, which
> work even in an empty hard like Knoppix and many
> others! My OS is Slackware Linux 10.1 and I never had
> any problems in the net. And it is free of charge.

It's Free Software - you can do whatever you want with it.
It doesn't mean it has to be free of charge. Just to be
clear with exact meaning of term Free Software...

> The OppenOffice 1.1.4 office is well ahead of MS office -

That's absolutely too optimistic statement. I also use Linux and BSD
system, as I'm a software developer, but I wouldn't dare to claim that
current OpenOffice is better than MS Office. True - it can open .doc
files not matter what version of MS Word created them, yet still when
it comes to _details_ ie. to read and render file _exactly_ how it
was saved, OpenOffice reveals its lacks. Version 2 of this office suite
brings significant progress, but it's still unstable.
I use OpenOffice to read various MS Office files that come via email,
but I prefer to work on native OpenOffice file formats instead of using
it as a free replacement for MS Office. It just doesn't work well this
way.

> it opens files no matter which application is involved
> in the creation ( for example MS office XP can not
> open document written with MS office 97). Everything
> can be downloaded free from the net and the
> distributions are equipped with more than 2000
> applications!

... which are often difficult to setup and/or use. Remember, not every
user really feels like to explore "what to do, to make it actually work
like I want it to". It's educative and very interesting - just like
biofuel brewing :) - but sometimes people just want to use it... nothing
more.

> All you need is to compile idconfig (the
> network connection) and you are free of problems. Me,
> personally, I do not have antivirus - I don`t need it.

So do I. But I'm more careful when advocating such a system :-)

--
cheers,

 Rafal Szczesniak      **mir[at]diament.ists.pwr.wroc.pl
 Samba Team member     mi***[at]samba.org