Hi Vin

>Hi Keith,
>
> > I do wish the large list membership in the global  >
>South would be a little more vocal, really I do,   >
>though I do understand some of the reasons they're >
>not.
>
>Here goes one Listmember from the South...

Thankyou!!! Now where are all the others? :-)

>I know what the people in La, Al., and Ms. are going
>through and I deeply sympathize with the hurricane
>victims in the US Gulf Coast, having lived through a
>few natural disasters that struck the Philippines:
>
>Volcanic eruptions:
>Taal Volcano in 1965
>Mayon Volcano in 1968
>Mt. Pinatubo in 1991
>
>Earthquakes:
>One in 1968 when a 6 storey building (Ruby Towers)
>collapsed killing 200 people in an earthquake
>measuring 7.3 on the Richter scales
>Another one in 1990 when Baguio City and other places
>in Northern Luzon were whacked by a major earthquake
>measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale.
>
>Typhoons:
>From:
>http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2004/dec/03/yehey/images/front.pdf
>Oct. 11-15, 1970 Super Typhoon Sening 768 dead
>Aug. 31- Sept. 4, 1984 Typhoon Nitang 1,363 dead

I'm trying to remember what it was called by the time it hit Hong
Kong, it really wrecked us and killed a lot of folk.  Typhoon Ellen?
Not the only one... Like you I've lived through a lot of typhoons,
and a lot of other kinds of storms too.

>Nov. 3-6, 1984 Typhoon Undang 895 dead
>Nov. 23-27, 1987 Super Typhoon Sisang 979 dead
>Nov. 10-14, 1990 Super Typhoon Ruping 748 dead, P11
>billion damage
>Nov. 2-7, 1991 Tropical Storm Uring 5,000 to 8,000
>dead, P1 billion damage.
>Sept. 30 - Oct. 7, 1993 Typhoon Kadiang 576 dead, P9
>billion in damage.
>Oct. 30 - Nov. 4, 1995 Super Typhoon Rosing 936 dead,
>P11 billion damage.
>Oct. 15-24, 1998 Super Typhoon Loleng More than 300
>dead, P7 billion damage.
>
>That's just the Philippines; there are other countries
>that have suffered (and will suffer) even more
>destructive natural disasters as we are all aware.
>
>The intense media coverage (and subsequent discussion)
>of Hurricane Katrina and its tragic effects makes me
>think that this just might serve as a signal for the
>US Government and the American people to reexamine
>current official and individual policies regarding
>Climate Change, Peak Oil, and Sustainable Development
>in general.

I reckon we're all hoping for that Vin, Hakan said something similar.
Here's to hope!

Many of us here who are not Filipinos have fond and happy memories of
the Philippines, including me. Ask Gustl why he ends his messages
"Happy Happy"!

Regards, and thanks again

Happy Happy! (No matter what!)

Keith