Hi Bob,

I don´t use coargental as a dietary suppliment. I use it for its antibacterial properties and then only topically in my nose (and thus indirectly my throat). It does have well documented antibacterial properties as do other more toxic metals. It may also have antiviral properties but I haven´t read much in this area recently. I agree with all the precautions you´ve listed and use it sparingly. But I do use it. I prefer to nip any sinus infection in the bud as they usually drop into my lungs. I think it is better than overusing antibiotics.

Tom Irwin

From: bob allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:58:16 -0300
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Silver, chlorine, etc. (was Katrina..

Tom and Joe, I am interested in what makes you think that silver does
any good? Only personal experience, or do you know of any science
behind the claims.

the NCCAM (National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicines)
was set up to study just such nostrums as colloidal silver. See what
they have to say:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/2297471.stm

Reviews in the scientific literature on colloidal silver products have
concluded that2-5:

* Silver has no known function in the body.

* Silver is not an essential mineral supplement or a cure-all and
should not be promoted as such.

* Claims that there can be a "deficiency" of silver in the body and
that such a deficiency can lead to disease are unfounded.

* Claims made about the effectiveness of colloidal silver products
for numerous diseases are unsupported scientifically.

* Colloidal silver products can have serious side effects
(discussed further below).

* Laboratory analysis has shown that the amounts of silver in
supplements vary greatly, which can pose risks to the consumer.

Tom Irwin wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> I'm rapidily becoming a real believer in silver as well. Here in
> Uruguay, there is an over the counter medicine called Coargental. During
> the winter I use it whenevr a sinus infection or sore throat kicks up.
> it's basically a silver compound in nose drop form. It doesn't work all
> the time but then what does. I still get the flu and such but not much else.
>
> Tom Irwin

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman