Hello Ken

>Based on the info on JtF, it looks almost as if bioheating oil
>hasn't been tested much (probably a false assumption on my part).

It's been well-tested in what we say it's been tested in, mainly this:

Journey to Forever's forced-air biofuel heater
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me9.html

>Anyone here burning it?  How could I tell if it will work in my
>furnace without potentially gumming up the works?

Depends on the furnace, as with biodiesel. Try it, keep a close eye
on it, especially at first, if you start to have problems then stop.

It says:

"There's little or no free methanol left so it should be safe if you
want to use it in the type of burner or furnace that has rubber pipes
and seals, but we haven't tried that and it might be wise to change
the rubber parts for resistant material anyway.

"Some burners are more sensitive to viscosity than others. Biodiesel
is more viscous than petroleum heating oil, and bioheating oil is
more viscous than biodiesel, so if biodiesel doesn't work in your
furnace then bioheating oil won't either, though in both cases
pre-heating the oil might work."

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_heaters.html#bioheat
Heaters, burners and stoves

>If appears to me that the advantages of bioheating oil over
>biodiesel are fewer inputs (cheaper) and a slightly simplified
>process.

More than slightly, especially since you're not trying to pass any
quality tests.

>Is that correct?

More or less. Not inconsiderable advantages, IMHO.

>I am in the process of building my biodiesel processor, would there
>be any pitfalls of processing bioheating oil and biodiesel in the
>same processor?

What pitfalls could there be? Bioheating oil uses the same process
and the same chemicals.

Best wishes