My understanding is that ethanol will run fine in existing gasoline
engines.  The difference is in compatibility with seals, and ability
to vaporize at lower temperatures.  It's got a bit higher vapor
pressure, so in northern US, it can create hard starting in the
wintertime.

It does have a bit lower energy content per gallon, and higher oxygen
content, which could confuse the electronic controls systems that most
cars have now.  They measure input airflow, and oxygen content in the
exhaust, and decide how much fuel can be put in and still assure
complete combustion.  I don't know if ethanol might mess this up.
Older cabureated cars you'd probably just have to reset the jets.

The lower energy content per gallon also means that the mpg is a bit
less.  Somewhere around 10% I think???  If you designed the car to run
only on ethanol, then you can typically use a much higher compression
ratio (12:1 or so instead of 9:1 or less).  This gives you back alot
of the performance and mpg losses from using the lower energy content
fuel.

As far as seals, I haven't heard anything on ethanol causing seals to
degrade, but I may be wrong.  Just a few days ago on this listserve,
there was a discussion on methanol, and the possibility of high
concentrations of it hurting the aluminum and light alloy engines. It
seems like if it did have issues with corrosion or rubber degradation,
10% would be enough to cause them, and since most of the winter gas
sold in the northern US is 10% ethanol for pollution control, I
imagine it doesn't.

I wonder if they are using 100% ethanol, or ~95% ethanol (which is
what denatured ethanol usually is -- a little gasoline put in to keep
you from drinking it), or 95% ethanol/5% water which I understand is
the highest purity you can distill it to.  At that ratio, it forms a
constant boiling mixture, and you can't get it to 100% pure by
distillation.  Does anyone know how they get the last bit of water
out?  And whether it would affect the engine if they didn't?  It's in
solution, so I imagine it would just cause a little more water vapor
in the exhaust, and slighly lower mpg.   It shouldn't cause freezing,
since I've tried to freeze 100 proof vodka, and it stays liquid at
-10F, and this woud equivalent to 190 proof.

My two cents.