Hi all,

Notwithstanding this list's rule that says 'nothing is off topic', it
seems to me that there are already a huge number of websites and mail
threads involved in the NT/XP/BSD/Linux/Macintosh religious wars. Would
bringing such a thread to the BD group increase content levels, or just
increase noise levels?

On the other hand, since I am without sin, (no M'soft on my networks
;-) I'll cast the first stone....

While I admire the incredible breadth and strength of Linux
development, I prefer variants of freeBSD for most applications.
FreeBSD seems marginally more stable and secure than Linux running web
and data server apps, many of which were first created on and for BSD
systems.

For desktops and personal workstations, the freeBSD/Mach/Darwin variant
of unix, delivered as Apple OSX, while not fully open sourced, is so
much superior to every other GUI/user interface, that it just seems
counterproductive not to buy Macs, especially for running unix on
laptops. They're cheap, fast, friendly, and sturdy. They're delivered
with an unbeatable set of consumer applications built in, plus X11,
with thousands of applications ready to compile, all the linux/unix
developer's tools like a cross-compiling gcc, perl, cvs, php, and java,
and a competent and extensible developer's GUI. They just work.

Ok, take up your weapons, YAPORS* begins!

* Yet Another Pc Operating System Religious Skirmish.

Taryn
http://ornae.com/