One major way acceleration hurts is that engines are set to richen the
mixture during hard acceleration in order to prevent detonation
(knocking, pinging) at high cylinder pressures.

Also, carburated engines richen the mixture to compensate for fuel
vapour condensing on the intake manifold walls as manifold pressure
increases when the throttle is opened.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada