From: Taryn
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: 9/15/05 2:57:16 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] wind and current power

Hi Zeke,

On 9/14/05, Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That monitoring station suggested to me that such a flying platform could
On a philosophical level, I often wonder why people are so excited
about fancy new ideas like fusion, or flying wind turbines, etc.  Is
it that we hope to engineer a technological solution to our
environmental/social problems?  As an engineer, I happen to like
technology too.  But scientists have already made PV modules, cars
that can get 80mpg on vegetable oil, superefficient lighting, etc.
Pretty neat stuff I think, but for the most part, no one uses them!!!
Why would we assume that the next new technology to "save" us from
ourselves would be accepted any better than what has already been
invented?

I just find this societal facination with new technology, at the same
time we refuse to actually use new technology, rather paradoxical.

Oh man, it's a fair cop! You're absolutely right. I'm an engineer and constant tinker, love the blue sky tech. but try to make my production designs as simple and sturdy as possible.

 Remember all those wacko ideas that showed up in the pulp magazines? I loved to spend time at my grandparent's place, partly because they had a huge cache of post-war Popular Mechanics, along with the usual cubic yard of National Geographic. I pored over those rags as a little girl, wondering why the personal gyrocopter, invented 25 years before, still wasn't in everyone's driveway.