Ok, given the same vehicle ( and about the same weight ), how does one go about picking a replacement engine and perhaps the replacing the transmission as well?

The reason I ask, is that I would like to replace the engine I have with a better engine, but, I don't want to over power.

Greg H.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 13, 2005 13:07
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Debatable statement?

I knew it wouldn't take long for these (good) questions to come up.

I'm just concerned that we don't get too hung up on cars designed for maximum efficiency vs maximum power. Some of the methods used to get fuel and air to high horsepower engines resemble toilet bowls and a lot of that fuel ends up not getting burned.

The biggest question I have is; If you are including the vehicle as a whole, weight has to be part of the discussion unless (perhaps) if you assume regenerative breaking on all cars. It's tough to ignore the transformation of energy into heat at the brakes.

Mike

Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Are we comparing exactly the same weight/aerodynamics/rolling
resistance car here, with just different powered engines? Or complete
different cars like a metro, corolla, and a ferarri.

I think for otherwise identical cars, a medium sized engine (but
smaller than what most cars come with nowdays) will get better
mileage, because it can accellerate fast enough to get out of the fuel
dumping acceleration, and into more fuel efficient cruising faster.
But if it's to large, it's less efficient at cruising speed because of
low part load efficiency. And if it's too small, it it always trying
futiley to accellerate, instead of cruising. Also, due to real fixed
ratio transmissions, a less powerful engine may spend more time at a
higher RPM, where the fuel efficiency in grams/kWh is less, whereas a
higher power engine could downshift sooner.

There is also the human factor, that a more powerful car will entice
lead footedness and speeding, and thus get worse gas mileage than an
underpowered car that you just accept your slowness....