Hi Bob and all,

I seem to be having fairly good success drying 95% ethanol with 3A molecular sieve. I still have horrible problems making BioD with 100% ethanol (purchased)but I´m still working on it.

Tom Irwin

From: bob allen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 18:23:08 -0300
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] ethanol method

It is not easy, due to the fact that ethoxide, can't be made by the
combination of sodium or potassium hydroxide and ethanol, as one does
with base plus methanol to form methoxide. It can be done however via
alternative ways of making the ethoxide:

K + EtOH ---> K(+) (-)OEt + 1/2 H2

KH + EtOH ---> K(+) (-)OEt + H2

(don't try this at home- wildly flammable materials involved)

or for someone with good laboratory skills:

combine EtOH (absolute) + KOH, then distill off 95% Ethanol/5% water
azeotrope to remove water, shifting the equilibrium to form the ethoxide
ion.

The problem is that you remove a lot of ethanol to get a small amt of
water out. (there are ways to recover absolute ethanol via a ternary
azeotrope, but I seriously doubt if it is either cost or energy effective.

Kuba-tlen wrote:
> Does anybody know how to do a biofuel usin ethanol? I mean 92% ethanol,
> not dry ethanol. I've read that it is possible. O maybe somebody knows
> how to easily dry ethanol?

Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman