Greg and April wrote:

> Ok, given the same vehicle ( and about the same weight ), how does one
> go about picking a replacement engine and perhaps the replacing
> the transmission as well?
>
> The reason I ask, is that I would like to replace the engine I have
> with a better engine, but, I don't want to over power.

My advice from a practical standpoint is to put one of whatever was in
it back in.  If you put a 4 cylinder in place of a 6, or a 6 in place of
an 8 everything will be different, assuming something made within the
last 20 years.  The computer hookup and wiring harness will be all
different, exhaust will be custome, fuel delivery will be different.  If
your time is worth anything to you I doubt you'd ever make it back on a
$$ basis for the fuel saved.

The transmission might be a slighly different proposition.  Gearing it
so the engine RPM is slower will probably raise your mileage a little,
as long as you're not slowing the engine down into a less efficient
mode.  There's no sure way to tell without looking at the same kind of
car with the different options.

A manual transmission should give you a little better mileage as well,
but if you've got an automatic now it would seem like a nightmare to
setup the clutch and shifting linkage so that it works well.

My thoughts, worth at least what you paid for them:)

--- David