Hi all,

I'm trying to collect materials to build a solar hot water heater.  I have a few questions for the initiated.  I have been thinking that my most affordable way to go would be to use abandoned sliding glass doors (double pane of course) for my glazing.  I can't imagine that there would be any problems with this approach unless they were tinted.  Obviously, I would avoid that.

Does some smart individual have a recommendation for the copper tubing diameter within the collector?  Also, all of the designs that I see incorporate a single serpentine or two manifolds at either end of the collector connected by a series of parellel smaller diameter tubes.  I wonder if I could create a hybrid of this design using multiple overlapping serpentines connected by two manifolds.  This is hard for me to descibe.  I envision the individual tubes making contact somewhere near the bends.  My thoughts are:
1. This idea would work quite well
2. There wouldn't be enough heat produced to sufficiently heat the water.
3. This could be just riddled with leaks
4  Both 2 and 3.

Does the bulk of the heat produced come from the Sun's radiation or convection within the collector?