Hello Andrew, John

>Quoting john owens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > hi
> >  I just finished designing and building a batch processor based on the
> > journey to forever 90 ltr processor I now want to design an ofm flow tube.
> > Is there any other sites other than cambridge That would be usefull.
> >  John
>
>I've thought about this, but think that the OFM technology might not
>be the best
>for yields. I know that the Cambridge site mentions biodiesel production but
>posts to this list make me think that the agitation may actually harm yield. I
>base this on a post I made and the subsequent replies I got when
>Mike Allen was
>designing Deep Throat,

Aarghhh! Deep Thort! LOL!

>http://www.journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor8.html
>- I think it was during then, but anyway, someone was designing a reactor...
>
>    The designer had mentioned that they where using a motor with a
>gear box so
>that the mixing blades rotate at a relatively slow speed hence not churning
>everything up.

That's Michael's view, yes. There are 10 big paddles on that mixer
though, slow speed's all that's needed, 100 rpm. I like that way of
doing it with a mixer rather than high speeds with a couple of small
paddles.

I decided to use a pump instead with the JtF 90-litre processor, and
Michael tut-tutted, all that agitation in the pump chamber, but it
works very well anyway. Maybe it's different, slow agitation of the
whole volume inside a tank or fast agitation of just a small part of
the volume outside the tank with very little agitation inside the
tank.

>I asked the question that wouldn't it be better to "flog the crap
>out of it" so that there was rapid and complete contact between all of the
>component chemicals. The reply was that due to the equilibrium (reaction
>kinematics???) of the oil/methoxide -> biodiesel/glycerine reaction, it was
>better to do things slowly and allow the glycerine to "drop out" of
>the reation,
>down to the bottom of the reation, hence a tall slender reator is
>better that a
>low squat one. It appears that the presence of the glycerine will hinder the
>conversion from oil to BioD.

We hadn't discussed it, but we both ended up with processors that
drop out a lot of the glycerine during the process, both
intentionally, but doing it in different ways.

>We have the idea that the level of the mixing tank outlet to the
>pump relative to the bottom of the tank is quite important. With our
>processor the mixing outlet is set somewhat higher than the level
>the glycerine by-product will settle at. That level will vary
>according to the oil (and process) you use. Especially with the rose
>at the inlet in the lid, there's not much agitation in the tank,
>mainly just circulation. The necessary agitation takes place inside
>the pump. The pump pulls the oil in from the tank outlet, but that's
>not very violent. As a result, a lot of the glycerine by-product
>settles out during the processing, which is a Good Thing. We think
>almost half of it settles out before the processing's finished. This
>does also remove some of the excess methanol, which is dissolved in
>the by-product.
>
>Aleks Kac's Foolproof two-stage acid-base process has an optional
>step of draining off some of the glycerine during the base stage.
>("The process runs fine without this step," he says. "It's just a
>twitch to get higher yield" if your processor has a bottom drain.)
>He said this about it:
>
>"The process is running on the smallest sensible volume of alcohol.
>While removing a small portion of it with the by-product would seem
>to slow the reaction down, the rather large mass of removed
>by-product will tip the scale toward ester production."
>
>We find that's the case -- the settled out glycerine by-product more
>than offsets any methanol removed, with very satisfactory results.
>
>CAPTION: The sample on the left was taken from the top of the
>processor a couple of minutes before switching the pump off at the
>end of the process. Immediately after processing the whole batch is
>pumped into the holding tank via the processor's bottom drain. What
>comes out first is already-settled glycerine by-product. Pumped into
>the holding tank at the lid, it all gets mixed up again before
>settling. The sample on the right is of the same batch, taken from
>the top of the holding tank immediately after transfer -- twice as
>much glycerine by-product.
-- Journey to Forever 90-litre processor
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor10.html

The photograph is interesting.

Best wishes

Keith