The mainstream media (as we've discussed before) is anything but independent journalism. However, the Internet is one of a few and very powerful modes of communication which is available to people who see what's occurring within that media and look elsewhere. It is for this reason that anti-war protests are gaining strength. Even if you only hear about some vague reference to a protest in Washington DC on September 24th (for example), there are ways of getting details on it that the MS media on radio and television regularly suppress.

I get emails that report regular peaceful and successful anti-war rallies and campus anti-recruitment activities. Despite following campus rules, there have been numerous reports of police violence and suppression of constitutional rights related to free speech and public assemblies. The protesters, who consider themselves conscientious citizens, are firm in their belief that the country has been taken over by a ruling class, interested in the accumulation of power and the further construction of a failing empire. In response, they have not backed down at all. So by saying that antiwar protests are "disappearing", I hope it is meant as a description of the coverage in the major television and radio networks and not the activities themselves.

Mike

Alan Petrillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Scott Brown wrote:
> Just another point of view.....
>
> It may be that Bush is in the hands of the media and the people who control
> the media rather than they are in his control. Does "puppet on string"
> seem applicable ???

Why not? After all, it is they who put him in power.

AP