I don’t let it build up pressure I have the top port open all the time it is hot. The rubber is not to much to wory about I use o rings made of viton both on the shaft seal and the main opening. I also keep the discharge valve closed so it wont siphon out.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Michael Luich
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 9:57 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] disolving lye

I have one as well,

My concern would be the rubber seals and having anything that dangerous under pressure.

Mike Luich
Salem NH

On 10/3/05, Thomas Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Derick,

     You have given me an idea re: dissolving lye w/o exposure to fumes.

     I am a homebrewer (beer) and have several of the soda kegs you refer to. I use them when I keg beer.  The port at the top is for introducing CO2 to seal the lid, for carbonationand to force the beer out the other port for dispensing.

     After fermentation and settling, the uncarbonated beer is siphoned into the keg through the removable, clamp-down lid.CO2 is intoduced  --- > pressure to seal the lid. At this point they do not leak. They will leak if there is not adequate pressure inside or if the lid has a bad gasket. The keg is shaken/rolloed on the floor to get the CO2 dissolved.

     Could the same system be used to mix and then dispense the methoxide into the processor? It would not even have to be elevated.  The same pressure that seals the lid forces fluid out the dipensing port.

    Problems:

      -You cannot see if all of the lye is dissolved.

      -Remember that the tank is pressurized. Must have a good way of regulating flow (on/off valve). Once the dispensing port is opened (via a pushdown screw-lock attachment) the fluid flows until the pressure is gone or the tank is empty.

      Is anybody using these soda kegs for dissolving and dispensing lye?

                                             Tom