I spent an hour trying to beat the price of methanol that I bought last
time, from a race car enthusiast, who sold it to me for $3.50 / gallon.

I called the local fuel / oil distributor, who has quite a monopoly in
this small town, and his prices reflect that fact.  Their current
pricing is $349. plus tax for a 55 gallon drum, or $7.00 per gallon.
Upon calling other nearby towns, I found it to be quite unavailable at
other similar types of suppliers.  (one receptionist was actually quite
cold in her response, I assume the boss warned her about the druggie
types that might be calling...  Who knows...)

So I guess I'm back to getting it from the race car enthusiast.  Last
time I bought it, I got 10 gallons, I've been sharing it, with a
neighbor who has farm equipment, another neighbor who has a diesel
Suburban, and using it myself in my diesel Datsun pickup.  The 50
gallons I made with 10 gallons of methanol has lasted all of us over 2
months, (I'm the only one running more than B20, just been adding B100
to whatever is in the tank, my full tank is now close to 85% BD. and no
evidence of rubber decomposition...)

The Lye was made available to me through an industrial soap manufacturer
in this small town, I've used about 1/3 of a gallon jug of the dry
beads.  Didn't weigh the jug full, so I can't say exactly how much I've
used.

On another note, I gave a friend a couple of gallons last week end, and
he tried mixing it with kerosene for a heater that looks like a torpedo,
or jet engine.  (wish I could tell you what he calls it.)  He reports
that it burned well, good heat, smells like food, and no kerosene odor
at all...

doug swanson
Brian Rodgers wrote:
> this sounds like good advice
>
> On 10/3/05, Derick Giorchino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hi as I figure this is almost $10.50 a gal I get mine at a fuel & oil
>>supplier at $2.35 that's including the taxes.
>
> So this brings me back to the original question.
> How much lye and methanol is the average biodieseler using per week?
> Brian

All generalizations are false.  Including this one.