Kurt Nolte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10/3/05, Paul S Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > <i>I live near Charleston, SC USA about 40 miles from the coast,</i> so it
> > gets cold for a few weeks or a couple of months depending on your definition
> > of cold. Anyway heating season is about November to March and natural gas
> > prices are through the roof.
>

> I'm really keen on what you find out as a solution here, too. I'm also an
> SC-er, Upstate, near Clemson/Anderson.
>
> Similar scenario, centralized heating with a forced air natural gas furnace
> in the basement, and we're staring an estimated two grand in heating costs
> for the winter. (Wide open house. Dumb idea when it freezes regularly during
> the winter. Heating all that airspace sucks up the gas. x.x)
>
> So if you get suggestions or ideas, please share? I'll be keeping an ear out
> myself and send some your way if I hear them.

I can only assume these are large homes.  I live in Ottawa, Canada.  South
Carolina
is where our snowbirds go in the winter to get away from the cold.  My annual
natural gas heating bill, including hot water, is about Cdn$600, approximately
US$500.  It is a reasonably small house though.  Heating season here is October
May.  (But it's getting shorter courtesy of global warming.)

I have some tips for you on reducing you heating bill.

http://www.econogics.com/en/natgas.htm

You should also visit Hakan's site at

http://www.energysavingnow.com/

Darryl McMahon
--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?