[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I have a dim memory from decades ago of reading a comment on the Peugeot
>403/404 engines, which said that they were excellent and would have been
>good racing engines for their size class - if they hadn't had rubber seals
>(o-rings?) between the wet liners and the block (head?). Consider the
>possibility that somethong has gone wrong with these seals - if the engine
>has wet liners (wet meaning in contact with the coolant).

I dunno if you are talking about the diesel 405, as a racing engine...
Anyway. I once had a big beautiful 404(5?) diesel wagon.
I had the motor rebuilt as it had water in the crankcase..... several
thousand miles went by on the new rebuild. Then one morning it would not
turn over, after the usual checks I tore off the head. It was a thin
aluminum affair, and as it turns out rather spongelike.
This motor was also "sleeved" and so managed to empty the radiator both
through the head and the bottom of the cylinders.
I never saw it overheat, but must have, or enough to spread open the
sleeves.
I  think there were some improvements with the x2ds (I think what you
have with the 505 turbo, or a swapped xd3te?)
I loved the wagon, and would even put the Peugeot turbodiesel in the
land rover to replace the MB220d motor.. but no time or funds. Oddly, or
not, when I got the wagon from a rather frustrated family member I
discovered it had been shot. Looked alot like a 45 caliber hole, neatly
missed the wheel and made a mess of the brake rotor ("it pulls a little
and vibrates some").
I would have used a smaller caliber but more bullets. On the other hand
I had a friend with the same car who often drove between Fairbanks and
Seattle, one trip with unplanned downriver dunking, and it never missed
a beat.. so
Good Luck and check http://www.peugeotclub.org/diag.html
http://www.505turbo.com/forum/index.php?s=d8453b9b1b88719807d3fcee555e6b31&showforum=2
and Peugeot Pete (google)