I live in a small house in a wealthy area and it never ceases to amaze me what people will do to keep up
the "status" both parents working 12 hour days, nanny raising the kid and the house is still re-mortaged
every year.

Money is only one metric to measure wealth.

Gustl Steiner-Zehender wrote:
Hallo Robert,

What  really brings it home for me is that I have been on a disability
since  Viet  Nam and my income, down to the penny, is $16,542 per year
which  leaves  us, here in the land of "bend over and let me introduce
myself",  struggling, and we are not among the abject poor, yet we are
still in the top 11.85 percent of the world in wealth.

I  remember  being  on  R&R  in the Phillipines (Ano na Kabayan! Happy
Happy  ba  tayo!)  in the late sixties and thought that my 180-odd USD
was  pretty  poor wages but then was told that the average YEARLY wage
at that time in the Philippines was $30-something.

I'm  not  much  of  an  economist  but it seems to me that even though
incomes have raised prices still outstrip wages by far.

There  are many things for which I owe thanks to the military.  One of
the  foremost  things  among  the  many is my having been afforded the
chance  to  see  how  so much of the world lives in comparison to what
those  with  just  a  modicum of wealth.  The religion I was born into
teaches us to do more with less, share the wealth, help where and when
we  are able, sacrifice our own comfort for those in need, and that no
matter  who or where or what we are we are all of equal value although
our circumstances may differ.

Well,  we  seem  to  be getting away from that now and our helping and
sharing  seems  to  be  getting  more  and  more  impersonal.   A  sad
situation.   I  don't  believe that there is any more effective way of
touching a person's heart than going directly to the source and seeing
for  oneself.   Seeing, tasting and smelling poverty and want.  Images
on the television screen are all too often soon forgotten but when you
combine  that image with a smell it doesn't go away quickly if at all.

My  brother  makes  over $80,000 a year and his wife "poor mouths" me.
She tells me she has to work because they can't afford to live in this
economy without her working. Makes me ill. They have it in their heads
that  those  without are lazy or stupid or somehow not worth bothering
about.  I think even worse is that they profess to care but hold their
own  confort  and  welfare  to be more important than that of everyone
else.  I remember taking my brother down to Villa Acuna in Mexico just
across the Rio Bravo from Del Rio and he wasn't there 5 minutes and he
was  afraid  and  wanted  to  go back across the border. He figured he
would  be  robbed  and killed down there among the poor Mexicans. In a
border town where a woman can walk home at 3.00 in the morning without
fear  of  being attacked, robbed or raped. A safe place after dark, at
least  back  in  the  '70s. Who knows now? They may have picked up our
values.  So  much ignorance and in my own family despite hearing me go
on  and  on  for  years and years. All too many people just don't hear
despite  listening. I suppose this is why I say you have to change the
heart  first  and  then  the  mind will follow. The mind is fickle. It
wants to move all the time and wants to control, define, explain away,
rationalize,  marginalize.  Beware  the  mind. It allows us to justify
that which is wrong and evil. It places value on pieces of wood (tally
sticks) or paper or diamonds and our own comfort all the while telling
us that yes, those starving and in need are important but not quite as
important  as  our  own comfort and safety and that of our own family,
neighborhood, state, nation, religion, political persuasion, whatever.
And  I  sit here writing this in my house which is deteriorating daily
knowing  that despite my little, 88.5 percent of the rest of the world
has less, much less, than me and mine. It is frustrating.

How  do  we  touch  those  hearts  of those who have? Personal example
certainly,  but  what  more?  My wife's nephew, a wealthy businessman,
believes me to be a fool. He complains over having to pay $1.25 a year
in  taxes  to support public broadcasting yet he spends much more than
that  renting  one  pornographic video.  He has graduated from college
and is perhaps the brightest bulb in his family yet he lacks a healthy
social  conscience.   How do folks like him have their hearts changed?
I  just keep praying personally and waiting but not expecting results.
How  on  earth  did  our  species  allow its value system to become so
skewed?

I  guess  I  should  stop now.  Speaking from frustration accomplishes
little if anything.  Fight the good fight brother.

Happy Happy,

Gustl