On the discussion of the Atkins diet I would like to add the fact that
people on this diet for a long period of time have a high risk of developing
Kidney dissease according to studies done on people on the Atkins diet.  The
diet also can damage the liver.  Heart disease is also a factor.
I did a work shop for people with diabetes.  What I found out when
researching material about diabetes is that animal source saturated fat is
one of the leading causes of type 2 diabetes.
Foods that are high in fiber such as unproceesed vegetables, seeds, nuts and
beans are the healthy way of preventing many diseases including type 2
diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
Many people talk about carbohydrates with out realizing that there are 2
types of carbohydrates.
simple carbohydrates such as sweateners are the bad foods but complex
carbohydrates are the healthiest foods on the planet; they includes fresh
unrefined vegetables.  Of course local organically grown is the very best.

Terry Dyck